LISA BLUE BARON, PH.D., JD
Ms. Blue Baron, a lawyer with the Dallas firm Baron and Blue, received her undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia and two masters degrees from the University of Virginia in Counseling Psychology. After a brief teaching career, she returned to school and earned a PhD degree in Counseling Psychology from North Texas State University and a Juris Doctorate from the South Texas College of Law.
After completing law school, Ms. Blue Baron joined the Dallas County District Attorney’s office where she prosecuted more than 125 cases to verdict and later advanced to the DA’s Organized Crime Division. In 1985, she moved to the law firm Baron & Budd where she specialized in environmental and toxic tort law. Lisa and her husband, Fred Baron, supervised 800+ employees and managed all financial aspects at Baron & Budd, the largest environmental law firm in the United States.
Over the duration of her legal career, she has earned over $350 million in winning verdicts and millions more in settlements for her clients. Ms. Blue Baron won the largest mesothelioma verdict in the state of Texas to date: $55 million for Mr. Alfredo Hernandez, who was exposed to joint compound through his years of work in construction.
Ms. Blue Baron’s accomplishments in trial courts nationwide have been widely recognized, including being named one of the Top 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America, one of the Top 50 Women Litigators in the U.S. by the National Law Journal, Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Texas Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, as well as receiving the Honorary Barrister Award from the University of Texas Law School and the Distinguished Alumni Award from South Texas College of Law. Blue was named Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2006 by the Dallas Bar Association. In 2007, she received the Louise Raggio Women’s Legal Advocate Award from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas and was awarded the Ronald D. Secrest Outstanding Trial Lawyer Award from the Texas Bar Foundation in 2008. Ms. Blue Baron was honored to accept the 2009 Rayburn Johnson Award posthumously on behalf of her husband, Fred Baron. In July, 2009 Ms. Blue Baron received Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s “Know Your Power” Award.
In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Blue Baron maintains a private consultancy as a forensic psychologist and is a nationally renowned expert in jury selection. With her unique background, Blue has been a commentator for several high-profile trials covered by Court TV and has co-authored numerous articles on jury selection. These include: The Dos and Don’ts of Jury Questionnaires; (Texas Lawyer), Make the Most of Your Jury Questionnaire, (Trial); Profile of a Perfect Juror, (Trial Talk); How to Pick a Winning Jury, (Champion); Profile of a Perfect Juror, (Arizona Trial Lawyers Association Advocate); Inside the Juror’s Mind, (Texas Bar Journal); Profile of a Perfect Juror, (Advocate Magazine - Journal of Consumer Attorneys Associations for So. California); Profile of a Perfect Juror, (South Texas Law Review); In Defense of the Peremptory Challenge, (Voir Dire Magazine); Twelve Psychological Tips for Getting Re-elected Every Time, (In Chambers) and “The Art of Persuasion: Three factors to consider” (Texas Lawyer).
Ms. Blue Baron has also written two books: ATLA’s Blue’s Guide to Jury Selection, coauthored with Robert Hirschhorn in 2004 (published by West), and Dr. Blues’ Guide to Making Relationships Work: 50 Quick Tips that Will Save Your Relationship, coauthored with brother Dr. Rick Blue in 2006. Dr. Blues’ Guide was selected as the Honorable Mention award recipient for General/Non-Fiction by the 2008 New York Book Festival.
Ms. Blue Baron is involved in numerous legal and professional organizations, including:
- American Association of Justice (Vice President, 2012-2013)
- Baron and Blue Foundation (Co-founder)
- Larry Hagman Foundation (President)
- American Bar Association (Task Force on the Judiciary, 1998)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (President, Dallas Chapter, 1995; President, Texas Chapter, 1998-99)
- American Psychological Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Dallas Bar Association (Co-chair CLE committee, 1999; Board of Directors, 2000-2002; Legal Legend Award, 2011)
- Dallas Bar Foundation (Board of Trustees, 2000-2002)
- Dallas Psychological Association
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Public Citizen (Board of Directors, 1999-2008)
- State Bar of Texas (Media Response Team, 1999-2000; Jury Service
- Committee, 2000)
- Supreme Court Task Force on Judicial Campaign Financial Reform (1998)
- Texas Psychological Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association (Executive Committee 1993-97; Head of Amicus Committee, 1996)
- ATLA - Diplomat of Trial Advocacy
- Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance (Board Member)
In addition to her professional and political activities, Ms. Blue has also studied languages for many years and has become fluent in French, Spanish and Italian. She is a widow, single mother of five children and an active philanthropist in Dallas, Texas.